Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Review - "The Spy Who Came In From The Cold"

The prospect of reading this book excited me tremendously. I couldn't wait to dive into a story about which everyone raved. I picked it for my February Reading Dangerously Challenge. Unfortunately, the novel left me disappointed. I found the plot with its twists and interwoven characters to be confusing at times. All of this was sorted out by the end but I found myself saying, "that is all???" The characters were not as intriguing as I had hoped, the action was typical of this genre and the end was anticlimactic. Le Carré's famous work was rather predictable for me, which is probably why I didn't enjoy it as much as others did. I'd say it was a more mediocre read if this type of fiction piques your interest. Unfortunately, I was unimpressed and have very little to write about this mediocre book.

There was one quotation I really liked from the story:

"Everywhere that air of conspiracy which generates among people who have been up since dawn- of superiority almost, from the common experience of having seen the night disappear and the morning come. The staff had that look which is informed by the mystery of dawn and animated by the cold and they treated the passengers and their luggage with the remoteness of men returned from the front: ordinary mortals had nothing for them that morning."

No comments: