Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Changing of the Guard


Unfortunately, this post is going to have a melancholy tone and it's my 600th post. Sorry friends.

Today I went to the local Secretary of State here in my new Midwestern municipality to get a driver's license because the insurance lady yelled at me. Well, not really but she was stern in her voice mail. I knew I had to do it, and have been reluctantly dragging my feet because, well I really didn't want to part with my little plastic piece of New England. I discovered today exactly how much I identify myself with my home state just as she punched a big ol' hole in my old driver's license and handed me my new temporary one. I've never had another state's piece of plastic. The entire transaction saddened me. They even made me put my middle name on it. I really, really violently dislike my middle name. I look forward to getting rid of it someday, but in the meantime, the lady insisted it had to be on there. Sigh....

I've always been a staunch, stoic New Englander who is rather passionate and patriotic about her roots. I realize that idea is kind of an oxymoron but it's the truth. Ironically, I might not be here if I wasn't proud to be an east coast girl. The majority of my character is a result of where I grew up, and I hold that place near and dear to my heart. It's who I am. However, I would be lying if I said I thought I would end up there. I did not believe it would always be my residence. I guess I just wasn't prepared to give up the official square declaring it so.

I also realized geographic and plastic have very little to do with identity. I'll always be a New Englander because it's in my heart. Besides, I could never call Coca Cola "pop". Sorry folks, it's soda where I come from. Yet, that all being said. I look forward to getting to know the new locale, as I firmly believe every place has its charms. I anticipate slowly being charmed by my new residence even if I'm a little sad for a bit.

No comments: