Monday, December 29, 2008

Ode to 2008



I realize I'm jumping the gun on this silly little thing by three days, but since I did it for 2006 and 2007, I thought I would make it a tradition by honoring 2008. I also figured nothing too noteworthy would happen in the next three days that would change my answers. Happy New Year!

1. What did you do in 2008 that you’d never done before?
I moved to Michigan to live with the boy I adore beyond all reason.

2. Did you keep your New Year’s resolutions?
I do not believe I made any last year.

3. What countries did you visit?
Ecuador

4. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008?
I would like a job and a very large emergency fund.

5. What dates from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
March 4th because Sly came to Ecuador and make my world there tremendously better
July 2nd because La Liga won the Los Libertadores Championship and I was in Quito to celebrate
July 3rd because I arrived home to the US after 10 months in Ecuador
September 10th because Peter asked me to move in with him
October 4th because I arrived in Michigan, which became "home"
November 17th and December 14th because I realized how much he cares about me.

6. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
I completed my service in Ecuador. I also painted my parent's front porch red with my dad. It looks gooood.

7. What was your biggest failure?
Not having realistic expectations about my return and reintegration into life back home after spending 10 months living in South America. It has been much harder than I anticipated.

8. Did you suffer illness or injury?
I had amoebas, parasites, and an upper respiratory infection while in Ecuador. I also had a rash on my stomach that refused to go away, even when I came home. Hot huh? It eventually healed.

9. What was the best thing you bought?
The only thing I bought for myself this year was pants in May. Nothing else all year. So I have to say I did not succeed in this category.

10. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Peter's, Erin's, and Sunshine's

11. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
no one really

12. Where did most of your money go?
What money? This was the worst financial year to date. I'd rather not talk about it.

13. What song will always remind you of 2008?
Anything by Celine Dion, a plethora of reggaeton songs, "I'm Yours" by Jason Mraz, and Beyoncé's "Single Ladies (Put a ring on it) ~ I just started bouncing in my chair.

14. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) Happier or sadder? the same
b) Thinner or fatter? thinner
c) Richer or poorer? drastically poorer. Hence the desire for a VERY LARGE emergency fund.

15. What do you wish you’d done more of?
I wish I wouldn't have worried as much. As my aunt says, "You can't get blood from a turnip." I wish I would have spent more time doing things I wanted to do like reading books, baking, watching movies, writing letters, volunteering, etc. I know my parents, aunt, and Peter all encouraged me to spend my captive "free" time doing productive things because I probably won't have time like this again, but I just couldn't get out of my head. I am working on it.

16. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Worrying and wasting time

17. How did you spend Christmas?
In the candle light with Peter's family. It was an old fashioned Christmas because we didn't have power. Lots of card games, snacking, and just hanging out.

18. Did you fall in love in 2008?
It was more like rekindled love. Cheesy I know, but I'm happy.

19. How many one-night stands?
That would be zero.

20. What was your favorite TV program?
Burn Notice, NCIS, Iron Chef America, The Martha Stewart Show, and The Rachael Ray Show, Anything on Food Network really

21. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
nope

22. What was the best book you read?
"A Thousand Splendid Suns" by Khaled Hosseini

23. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Jason Mraz and whatever my love sent my way

24. What did you want and get?
Well, I finally managed to win the affections of a boy I've had my eyes on for a very long time. I also lost all the weight I gained in Ecuador. That was awesome.

25. What did you want and not get?
A job

26. What was your favorite film of this year?
Wall-E

27. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
Peter sang to me at midnight and then my mom sang after him. I had a quiet day with my parents. Mamita made me blueberry bread and they bought me some awesome sneakers I really wanted. It's was my "golden birthday".

28. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Finding a job

29. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008?
There's always next year.

30. What kept you sane?
My people. The cats and Peter.

31. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Bobby Flay

32. What political issue stirred you the most?
The elections

33. Who did you miss?
My friends and family

34. Who is the best new person you met?
Wil and Kate

35. Tell us some valuable life lessons you learned in 2008.
Have a back up plan.

36. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
"Maybe this year will be better than the last." Counting Crows, Long December

No comments: