Saturday, August 16, 2008

"A Thousand Splendid Suns" by Khaled Hosseini

Once again Mr. Hosseini has humbled the deepest humanity in me. Upon turning the last page and closing the cover, I could not help but be in awe of his mastery of story-telling. This is by far one of the best books I've ever read. Laila and Mariam's story was heartbreakingly gripping and as much as I adore a good love story, the pangs of sorrow I felt for the unconventional reuniting of Tariq with his love shocked me. The bonds of friendship and family he so delicately weaves leaves you with the impression you will never understand such intimacy. And Hosseini's unorthodox heroine is another captivating piece I admire about his writing. I cannot think of another book I would so highly recommend reading.

I need to go for a run after devouring this novel. My mind is reeling with thoughts that render my breathing difficult and make my current worries seem foolish. How sad are we as Americans when we complain about our boring, complacent lives riddled with dissatisfaction of our own doing while millions suffer unbelievable and despicable tragedies too grotesque to utter - unspeakable things- yet we are ignorant to their pains; we are blind when it comes to their unimaginable plight...

2 comments:

Ross Douglas said...

The new you is a work in progress who is stretching fearlessly into the unknown with the belief that no matter what experiences and adventures you have, whether they be good or bad, you will learn, grow, and continue. you will never settle. You will always improvise and smile because I believe 'the heart of life is good...

cupcake said...

Thanks for the reminder buddy :)