Friday, August 15, 2008

On The Road Again

The other day my dad and I were going to get a tomato for tacos when he threw me the keys to the car and got into the passenger side. I looked at him and he said, "You have to start sometime." I nervously fumbled with the shiny silver apparatuses and hopped into the driver's seat. The fifteen year old Miss Cupcake made an appearance as the car slowly lurched down the driveway and out into the road. I hadn't touched a steering wheel in nearly a year, but driving again was like kissing an old flame. The experience was familiar and somewhat liberating. The silver beast slowly made its way around town only to stop at the little grocery store on Main Street. It was like riding a bike, only a bit scarier. We made it home safely much to my dad's surprise. I think he was more nervous than I was but didn't show it until I pulled into the driveway and parked.

He let me drive by myself the day after our tomato excursion. I was so excited I told him I might not return home. We picked the car up from the garage and parted ways. I had forgotten how awesome it feels to be free to move about without having to depend on a "driver". Yet at the same time, the freedom kind of made me sad because I didn't really have anywhere to go. Hopefully that will change soon. A new song on the radio kept me sitting in the car in the driveway long after I turned off the engine; a habit I've had since high school. Does anyone else stay in the car to listen to a good song? It is a good thing I started driving again because my license expires next month and now I have a reason to renew it. Dad has let me drive ever since so I am no longer a social outcast. Baby steps...one thing at a time :)

No comments: