Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Maybe it is a sign it is time to go...

Yesterday, I went to the local public library to take out some books and a movie of which I've been trying to watch the ending for two weeks now. I smugly brought three items to the counter and proceeded as usual. The nice lady told me my card had expired in January of 2006 but they had been letting me check-out books anyway. In an attempt to update my records and issue me a renewed card, I discovered I could no longer borrow books from the library of my childhood because my parent's physical address is in the neighboring town. I shook my head in disbelief as I tried to explain she could NOT take my card away. It was my saving grace in this lonely town. The library card held a spot in my wallet for decades and now she is going to take it away... The lady took pity on me and permitted the check-out of what I already had but she regretfully told me it was my last time. My library just broke up with me. I think it is a sign; one of many such as my driver's license expiring next month. I have never had another state's license but I am courting the idea of trading mine in (much to my shock & dismay). Another indication the times are a changing is the movement of my friends. There are talks of moving out of our beloved state and without them around, what shall I do all by my lonesome? So in light of all this change and upheaval, I might make my own waves right on out of dodge...

I cannot believe my library broke up with me?!?! That is harsh.

2 comments:

Chris said...

You know, in Pennsylvania, the Access PA program allows you to use pretty much any library in the state as long as you hold a library card from somewhere. It's true!

cupcake said...

YAY! Right now, Philly is my top choice :)