Monday, June 16, 2008

Closing Time....two weeks to go.

On Friday June 13th, I completed my service and finished my classes. We wrapped up by watching a scary movie to celebrate the date. For me, it has always been a lucky day because my parents got married on Friday the 13th, so I wasn't that scared despite really disliking scary movies. It just seemed appropriate.

Around 9 p.m. I was finished. Honestly, on the trole ride home, it felt anti-climatic and I went straight to bed as soon as I got home because I was exhausted. Saturday night, we went out to tapas and vino to celebrate, which made it more real. Surprisingly, all I could think of yesterday when I spoke to my dad was I made it. I did it. The year is over and I accomplished what I came to do. My dad was full of wonderful words for me but the ones that stuck with me for the day were "congratulations, not everyone could do what you did." I don't know about that, but I felt proud of sticking it out and of my work here. My last days with my students were amazing. I am so proud of them and their progress, and I was more than overwhelmed by their parting words.

For the next two weeks, all I have to do is wait for my paychecks, finish my site binder, and wait for my flight home. Nothing more is required or expected of me and it feels kind of nice. I am happily unemployed and no longer a volunteer but a traveler just passing time in Ecuador until my return home.

In the meantime, I am going to digest my experience and all that has happened here. I know it will take some time and probably won't even happen for months, but that is ok because all I really have now is time.

3 comments:

Shesabigstar said...

Miss Cupcake...you have done a wonderful thing and I'm so proud of you for making it through! It definitely takes a strong person to do what you've done...we all know that I'd never have made it through!! So GIVE YOURSELF A HUG...you should be very proud of yourself...I am!!

lindsay said...

congratulations!! we are excited to see you soon. enjoy your last few weeks!maybe we can skype soon. love, linz

~two~ said...

happy for you and anticipating exciting things in your future!

Tracy