Sunday, March 02, 2008

Happy Six Months

I just have to say, I have at least ten blogs to post and promise to get to it but today is my sixth month mark here in Quito, which prompted me to just sneak this one in. I cannot believe how fast the time has flown by... Friday night, I helped the directors pick up the new volunteers who arrived from the U.S. It was the first time I had entered the airport since I arrived and it set off a striking alarm in my mind. I could not help thinking, "I am not ready to leave...." I still have so much to do and see... It startled me and inspired me at the same time. I have four months to take advantage and get to work. I hope I can do it. Sometimes life surprises you.

It was so weird to see the fresh new faces and to greet them. I felt like a parent in a way. I wanted to hug them and tell them everything would be fine. They could stop worrying and freaking out because the year will be more than they ever expected and they will survive and be ok. Everything will work out. I realized no matter what I told them or how I answered all their questions, they would have to find out for themselves. Being on the other side of the receiving line was exceptionally enlightening. I look forward to spending the next month helping them get situated in Ecuador. Before they all know it, six months will have flashed before their eyes and it will all seem like a lucid dream.

Sometimes I forget I live in Quito. Friday night was a reminder and wake up call to enjoy every last minute of this journey....

No comments: