Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Livin' La Vida Loca

So for New Year's Eve this year, I spent about two hours driving around town with my host parents watching the craziness in the streets. Apparently, it is common practice for the young men to dress as women and dance for the cars in exchange for a small tokens of money. It is the funniest and craziest thing I have ever seen. My host dad got kissed on the cheek and called "Popi" by so many of Quito's finest. I have never laughed so hard in all my life.



After our excursion throughout town, we headed to my host father's parent's house where we hung around until 11:30 p.m. when everyone headed outside to douse their homemade dolls of old clothing stuffed with newspaper in the shape of large men in kerosene and set them on fire. It was incredible. There were bonfires of dolls everywhere. They topped of the bonfires with fireworks I swear only should have been handled by professionals. I thought for sure more than one house was going to explode. It was fantastic. At midnight, we ate 12 grapes and danced in the streets. Around 12:30, we headed inside for a grand meal of turkey, rice, and veggies, followed by champagne, and you guessed it, shots of rum and coke. The music started bumping and the entire family hit the living room floor where we dance until 4:30 a.m. Even the grandparents partook in the drinks and dancing. The creepy old man relative wouldn't leave me alone but I figured it was only one holiday so I indulged him with some dancing. It was a marvelous NYE. I will be sure to eat 12 grapes and wear yellow underwear from now on in celebration of my time here in Quito. HAPPY NEW YEAR!!











3 comments:

Privatjokr said...

It looks like the ceilings aren't much higher than 6' if that. I never knew Ecuadorians were such tiny folk.

Shesabigstar said...

I was thinking the same thing about the ceilings!

The old man looks cute and looks like he was a good dance partner! Yay!

Your hair must be getting long...I don't think you were able to put it up when you left. I'm very observant tonight apparently!

And btw, you just missed the Patriots win...they're headed to the AFC Championship game! Your boy Brady is doing New England proud...he's a rock star! I actually got a text during the game that said "Tommy soooo hot"...haha...made me think of you!

cupcake said...

I told you guys the people here were short, like less than five feet tall. I am tall.

Oh and btw, I DID NOT miss the patriots win because my host dad has cable (gosh I heart him) and I had a party at my house last night with nachos and butterscotch oatmeal cookies. YAY! GO PATS!! I have not missed a game. (Partly because I have nothing else to do and also because I want to have Tom Brady's second child).