Sunday, July 22, 2007

I'm not above closing myself in a room for a day...

In 14 days, I read 4,200 pages of Harry Potter. Some would probably say the pages were more likely devoured, and maybe spending the entire day Saturday reading book 7 was a bit much, but I do not regret it. I've always been a bit of bookworm...

I unabashedly left work at 9:30 on Friday morning to run to Borders to get my bracelet for the line to pick up my copy of "The Deathly Hallows" later in the evening. It was nearly impossible to control my excitement for any portion of the day. I even did work in an attempt to distract myself. Around 5:30, I found solace in a nice nap, which helped pass two hours time. Finally, 10:30 rolled around so I could head over to the bookstore to observe the events. Allie and I spent the time reading magazines, language books, and watching the very clever high school girls parade around in "Gryffindor", "Snape is Loyal", and "The Leaky Caldron" t-shirts that made me turn an unnatural shade of green with envy. It was not long before midnight rolled around and brought our attention to the debut of the book. The lines were formed outside and we were paraded into the store by the color of our bracelets. (I will admit I ended up telling off a very drunken man who was disturbing the peace in the orange line. He did not seem to understand the difference between the colors orange and silver.) Allie and I only waited 20 minutes before we received our copies...

I hurried home where I only got through 100 pages before passing out. I did not wake up again until 10 a.m. very much to my dismay. In less than 10 hours reading, I finished the final chapter of Harry Potter. I had been evading all text messages and telephone calls from people throughout the day. Unfortunately, I was the first one of my friends to finish. I will not spoil the fun for those of you who haven't completed the novel, and instead will leave you with the option of emailing/chatting/calling me to share your thoughts on Rowling's work as you finish. I look forward to hearing what others think, and will eventually post my opinion for everyone. In the meantime, Happy Reading!!

No comments: