Thursday, June 21, 2007

Miss Grateful lounging by the Pool



Nearly two miles from my house lies this smug little resort, which happens to be where my friends and I play. Saturday after karate, I immediately dialed up Allie to see if she wanted to head to the pool with me for the day. She eagerly agreed to meet me at my house at lunch time. We grabbed sandwiches and salty bits from the local shop, then headed around the corner where we spent the remainder of the day lounging by the pool soaking up the glorious rays of the afternoon sun. It was fabulously amazing. Honestly, I have never felt more grateful in my entire life. I wanted for nothing at all. We both decided our lives were pretty awesome. I could not have been happier. For what more could a girl ask?

Monday night, after I made my decision to remain with BigStar until I leave in August, I called up the girls to see if they wanted to join me again at the pool. Amanda, Allie, and I headed back to the resort where we basked in the sun setting while leisurely wallowing in the warm water. This was, yet again, another magnificent adventure in the lives of the Triangle. (Of course, ice cream was involved, too!)

I am surrounded by such an abundance of good fortune I am often dumbfounded by it. How on Earth did I ascertain such a life? Everyday I thank my ever so lucky stars for all the wonderful beauty in my daily existence.

Last night, I was reminded once more of how extraordinary life can be. I babysat for a Dutch family staying at my favorite resort. This was the second time during their stay I "watched" their child. Basically, the child slept the entire two hours I was there. I didn't even meet him. Instead, I listened for him from the porch overlooking the lovely Atlantic Ocean. The air was cool and crisp as it danced over me while I took in as much as I could. I could hear the soothing sound of the waves quietly washing over the beach. The experience left me clean and revived until I felt a little chilly and headed back inside. I grabbed a glass of water from the kitchen where I was distracted by all the funny looking candy the family had brought with them from the Netherlands. I instantly felt a cloak of excitement fall over me. I could not help but smile because I remembered there is a whole world out there for me to explore. New foods, new people, exciting places, and exceptional events just waiting for me to experience them. I walked around the dinning and living rooms taking in all the thrilling foreign items laid throughout the villa. My enthusiasm for languages was renewed as I curiously leafed through a book written in an unfamiliar text. I realized there is so much more out there, and I belong out there. This extremely friendly family did more than put money in my hugs and kisses jar, they rejuvenated my desire to indulge the adventurer in me. Now I can finally answer my Aunt's question, "you are going to give up all this?"

Yes, yes I am.

However, you better believe I am going to enjoy it while it lasts. So grab your swim suit and join us by the pool. It is going to be an outstanding summer.

No comments: