Monday, June 25, 2007

KB comes to visit

One of my roommates and best friends from college, KB, came to visit me this weekend. I was so excited I was bursting at the seems the entire drive to the airport. I picked her up Friday night where we spent a nice car ride exchanging secrets, updating, and analyzing. We reminisced about the days of living together at Villanova and how we had the best time in college. We giggled and whispered like school girls until we finally arrived at one of my favorite hotels:


I promised her earlier in the week to make sure to take her out for a bit on Friday even if she was tired. We dropped off her bag and hit the town. I took her through the cobblestone streets past all the local late night hot spots. Since Andrew was working, I brought KB in to meet him. Sadly, he and Linz were not around for the rest of the weekend to join us on our adventures. We said hello then made our way to the local pizza shop where we grabbed slices before making our way back to the hotel for the night.

On our way to the room, we encountered a sobbing girl in the hallway. Apparently, she was having a mental breakdown because she didn't have her room key. I kindly informed her to go to the front desk to get another one. She thanked me profusely and then headed in that direction. We both agreed it was the strangest thing; I mean seriously, is it necessary to sob uncontrollably in front of the door because you do not have your key? It is not like you lost an appendage... Sometimes people baffle me. Anyway, the hallway quieted and we eagerly dove into our beds for a slumber party. Can I just tell you how awesome the beds are at the Hilton? I'm sure KB will concur. It is what I would imagine sleeping on a cloud would be like. They are divine. We both relished in the soft blankets and squishy pillows before we fell asleep, which lasted two hours until my phone rang at 3:15 in the morning. Apparently Mr. Brownie Sundae had indulged in too many rum and cokes (which he doesn't even like) with his friends on his rendez-vous to our nation's capital. Ladies and Gentlemen, in all the years I've known him and in the time I spent as his girlfriend, not once had I ever received a drunk dial from him (this phone call made two in a month). To be completely honest, I have seen him play beer pong with his mother but, I have never even seen him drunk. When we were in college, he didn't even drink so you can imagine what a treat it was to be awoken in the middle of the night only to have to run into the other room to listen to drunk boys yammer away for a solid 15 minutes. Not only did I have the pleasure of listening to him, but I also spoke to his friend, who I knew from college, and his friend's friend, who was a stranger. Needless to say, they provided quality early morning entertainment.

Saturday morning, I trotted off to karate while KB explored the downtown for a bit. When I returned, we had breakfast at Big Mama's, which is a lovely diner hidden away on a cobbles toned side street. We enjoyed a nice meal, which we followed up with a walk. She likes walking as much as I do so I took her all over the peninsula. We left the diner and headed a mile up to the promenade so I could show her all the little islands, the train, and the bay.

It was chilly and cloudy yet still beautiful with all the little boats in the harbor and the gorgeous older homes lining the street. Luckily, we did not have to walk along the water far, as I was afraid we were going to blow away because it was so windy, which is very unusual. I did not want KB to go home with the impression it was cold here...


We walked down the main streets of town, past the little shops, parks, and friends' homes. We ended our walk at the Annual Greek Festival held at the local Greek Orthodox church where we hovered by the tent waiting for Allie. Despite all the delicious food available, we settled on this dessert whose name I could not pronounce so I made up my own, which I yelled aloud at the festival without thinking. "Oh my gosh, look fried balls!!" Allie added the sticky part when she saw them pour the honey on top. Fortunately, no one noticed my blunder except the girls. The honey fried dough was scrumptious.

I decided to make us tourists for a bit by making KB visit the lighthouse, which is one of the most famous in the world. We leisurely drove through the streets of the small town that features our prominent attraction.

We masqueraded as tourist with all the people "from away."


She posed for us.

Allie and I were reminded of how lucky we are to live here.





We attended more important business after viewing the lighthouse. Allie and I took KB to our favorite ice cream shop, where they make their own soft and hard serve ice cream in tons of delectable flavors. I had blueberry; Allie had refreshing Lemon Chiffon Pie; and KB had chocolate. We devoured our treats and meandered around the corner to my favorite resort where we lounged by the pool before heading to my house.

The three of us stopped by chez cupcake before returning to town to get ready for dinner. Unfortunately, I did not have my house key because I did not drive. However, BigStar left the windows open so I had the pleasure of climbing into one of the front windows in a skirt facing one of the busiest roads during tourist season. Ironically, I was a burglar in my own home. I think I have a hematoma on my knee now from the incident. I gave a tour and gathered some things so we could get ready for our night on the town.

Allie dropped us off at the hotel where KB introduced me to the Discovery Channel's show "Deadliest Catch." I was immediately fascinated. Instead of taking a nice leisurely rest before dinner, I let the stories of Alaskan crab catchers captivate me. This is precisely why I do not watch tv. I could see how the Discovery Channel could take a vice grip on my soul.

We finally pried ourselves away from the show to join the others at dinner. Katie, Kevin, Allie, Amanda, KB and I convened at the local Mexican watering hole were we had the longest meal ever. All I have to say is that it's a good thing the food was good. I swear they trekked straight to Mexico to get it. The waitress came out to apologize by saying, "Sorry. I was in the kitchen for ten minutes." Ok, what about the other fifty-five? Despite the wait, we had a lovely time. Of course, I put my foot in my mouth more than once but I think Katie scored the most "can't take me anywhere" points by disappearing to watch bull riding at the Civic Center.

The group finished up dinner in time to gallivant over to watch the local 80s cover band play at our favorite bar with the light up dance floor. I think this is where KB was traumatized most. We tried to explain to her it wasn't our regular hang out spot, but she just shook her head and went along with us. I vowed to make sure friends who come to visit in the future stay for at least four nights, as to avoid such incidents going forward.


Katie, Kevin, Amanda, and Allie


KB and Miss Cupcake

We spent the rest of the evening happily dancing until we decided it was time to head back to our clouds.

1 comment:

Chris said...

Ahhh the dynamic duo together again. Never a dull moment. That's pretty much all I'll say about that.