Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Cinco De Mayo

I know this post is super late, but it was such a good night, I wanted to comment about it.

Around 6 p.m. that evening, I made Allie go to the local race track with me to watch the Kentucky Derby, as BigStar was there with Heidi. When we finally found them sitting at the bar, the two of them screamed so loudly I looked around to see if something happened. Erin was jumping up and down spilling her beer everywhere, which she never stopped doing the entire half hour we were there. Our lovely friend Alex so nicely offered to show us the ropes at the counter where bets were placed. Allie and I each bet on a horse and then returned to the bar for a beer. I bet on the 15 horse (but did not win). When it was time for the race to start, everyone yelled at the bartenders to turn the 15 TVs onto the race. You'd think they would listen as their livelihood depends on the patrons yelling, however, not the case. The girls completely ignored the crowd and left us to watch the KENTUCKY DERBY on one little 19 inch tv. Despite how short the race was, it was still exciting. It does not take much to make me happy. Once again, my suspicious were confirmed that I could be a bookie.

Allie and I left BigStar and Heidi to their own devices. They were doing so well on their own, we decided they didn't need any more encouragement. We arrived at my house to enjoy a feast of fajitas I conjured up. Linz was supopsed to join us but she was detained at the Verizon store. After too much food, we headed to the local hole in the wall bar to partake in the festivities.

Linz, Allie and I grabbed a table by the light up dance floor. That is right, THE LIGHT UP DANCE FLOOR! We were chatting away while an awful band sang about dental dams, when all of a sudden I felt something touch my arm, which caused me to let out a huge scream. Thank God the band was playing because I yelled so loudly, I'm sure everyone there would have thought I was getting attacked. Turns out, a pudgy old man just wanted to dance with me. Horrified, I looked at him and declined. YOU JUST SCARED THE CRAP OUT OF ME, NO I WILL NOT DANCE WITH YOU TO A SONG ABOUT DENTAL DAMS. Seriously people. Is he joking? Luckily, we did not have to endure too much pain because the band was replace by a phenomenal Capoeira demonstration.

Capoeira is an African-Brazilian dancing martial arts. It's amazing. Everyone formed a circle around the artists who were on the dance floor. We clapped and they sang and in a karate-sumo-dancing fashion, "fought" with each other. I could not believe how outstanding the fighters were. They were flipping, jumping, and moving their bodies in ways I have never seen before, which exposed muscles I did not even know existed. One of the male contenders had abs I swear were humanly impossible to achieve. Of course, one of the other men was the hottest man I've ever seen. If he asked me to run away with him for the night, I would have without any questions. HE WAS GORGEOUS, thus, had a girlfriend. Men like him were born with an entourage. OH MY GOSH HE WAS HOT. I'm fanning myself as I write...

Once the Capoeira group finished their demonstration, the band we came to see finally made its way to the stage. Esperanza is a Caribbean-Cuba 9 piece band. Their music was fantastic. We danced for a solid 2.5 hours. I had the pleasure of dancing with a strange older man and a lovely younger lad. It was nice to be out and about dancing and having fun. Allie, Linz and I had such a great time we cannot wait to go back. The band played past closing time, much to the crowd's excitement. After they finished their set, we left the bar to head home. I dropped Allie off, then returned back to the marsh, where I spent a good portion of the evening conversing with Mr. Brownie Sundae. Well, that went well.

Just another lovely Saturday night.

2 comments:

Allie said...

That night was so much fun! That the most I've danced at a bar in a long time. I can't wait to see Esperanza again.

And I think that any number of women in that bar would have jumped Mr. Hottie if given the chance.

cupcake said...

Yes, I can't wait to dance the night away again sometime soon. We'll have so much fun!! I just hope no one tries to scare the crap out of me again.

He was so hot...