Monday, April 23, 2007

"We are the Hokies. We will prevail."



I wanted to take a moment to express my deepest sympathies regarding this tragedy. It is unthinkable and horrific.

Unfortunately, I do not believe life altering events such as these can be stopped because some people are just nuts; plan old bonkers; for whom life is worse than death. However, I do believe a 23 year old man has no business with a semi-automatic weapon that unloads 19 shots in one clip. Seriously, many lives could have been spared if he did not have such easy access to so many deadly guns. I'm all for people who want to protect themselves with a handgun. If one wants to go hunting with a rifle, so be it. I am not for people who can walk into a store to purchase a gun that is only available to police forces in EVERY RICH NATION EXCEPT AMERICA. Not one person in this country needs such a pernicious tool. I don't believe the deaths could have been prevented, as the student clearly had a mission, but I do believe the devastation could have been less. It is easy to blame the University, the police, etc, yet no solace can be found there, but maybe if people look at the real culprit, gun control, another nefarious disaster could be prevented...How unbelievably heart breaking.

My many condolences to the Virginia Tech community.

P.S. Please find some interesting articles here and here.

No comments: