Tuesday, April 24, 2007

The State of Television Today...

Friday night, I convinced BigStar to be a guinea pig again for my Pillsbury Bake-Off experiments (post for this to follow). While I whipped up a storm in the kitchen, she snuggled on the couch trying not to pass out from being sick. I whipped up my super secret recipe for my dessert entry, she ate it, gave her thumbs up, then hobbled off to bed. Meanwhile, the TV was showcasing America's finest from "Wife Swap". I stood in the middle of the room watching a father tell his daughter if she "shut up and sat on the couch" he'd pay her $5,000 once she did was she was told and the show was over. I balked at the screen. I could not believe my eyes or ears. The 16 year old girl was standing next to her father in $500 jeans just staring at him. As soon as he made his offer, she sat down without a word. I got the feeling this wasn't the first time he had to pay her off to behave. I was so appalled I immediately shut the TV off and returned to the kitchen (well after running into Erin's room to see if she saw what I saw. I needed confirmation I wasn't making it up.) The air was dancing with the smell of crescent rolls, which made me a little nostalgic. I cleaned up my mess wondering the whole time, "What is wrong with people today?"

No comments: