Monday, April 23, 2007

Snow, Rain, Two Girls, Two bottles of Champagne and Four Movies....

Last week, I house/pet sat at the farmhouse again. This time, they left their rockstar dog, who happened to be the best behaved creature I've ever encountered during a pet sitting job. Once again, being there was like being on a retreat. After the first two days, I felt revived and completely at ease with the majority of my life. I highly recommend becoming a hermit every so often. It does wonders for your psyche. Five days and about a foot of snow into my stay, I decided it was best to share the wealth with Allie . She joined me on Saturday evening with two bottles of champagne, and Shanghai wings from Chili's (if you have not had these yet, run to your nearest Chili's and order them for lunch today. You will not regret it). We ate our wings, drank our champagne, plus a bottle of wine, and shots of tequila. Plenty of dancing in the kitchen occurred and we managed to watch two movies (well, Allie made it through most of the second movie). By 11:30 p.m., we were fast asleep. I'm pretty sure for the first time EVER, neither of us called anyone or sent any text messages. Well, maybe one made out but it didn't count because we went to high school with this boy.

The next day, we made it to breakfast at a little café in the next town over. The food hit the spot, which allowed us to hit the couch once again. By the way, the couch at this house is FANTASTIC. I cannot adequately convey how amazing it is. Let's just say the two of us agreed we could spend the rest of our lives on it with no regrets. Also, the new flat screen HDTV that took up half the wall was pretty amazing as well. We were living it up. We watched two more movies, then headed to the local Subway because I desperately wanted a BLT. I still kind of do. We grabbed sandwiches, chips, drinks, and snacks, basically enough to get us through the rainy evening, returned to the house and assumed our positions on the couch where we read books and played on Allie's new laptop.

The two of us decided we could happily spend the rest of our lives doing exactly this every weekend. Seriously, aside from getting food, I only left the house once in three days to go to karate. It was heaven.

The movies we watched:

"The Perfect Man" : All I can say about this movie is that I'm going to be Mrs. Ben Feldman. Ok maybe there's more... Hillary Duff was adorable, as usual, and Mr. Big played a decent guy for the first time in my cinematic experiences with him. Overall, the movie was good.

"Chocolat" : I enjoyed this movie more than Allie did. The idea of opening a chocolate store in France seems fantastic to me. I really liked the main character, Juliette, with her amazing ability to guess what chocolate suited each customer. Johnny Depp played a smaller role than I anticipated. The movie was interesting and different. Overall, good as well.

"Be Cool": Another movie I liked more than Allie did. I thought it was creative, and well done. John Travolta and Uma Thurman play a nice little duet together. I thought the ending was unique with a little twist nicely played. Overall, another good movie.

"Kiss Kiss Bang Bang" : I loved this movie. It was awesome. The characters were well thought out, and the actors who played them did a marvelous job. The story and plot was fantastic. Val Kilmer and Robert Downey, Jr. played off each other so well we laughed the entire time. An excellent showcase of skills and plot. Definitely see this movie.

The books I read:

"Eat, Pray, Love" by Elizabeth Gilbert

"Confessions of a Shopaholic" by Sophia Kinsella

"The Secret Life of Bees" by Sue Monk Kidd

Reviews of the first and third book to follow.

Ah, another week well spent.

2 comments:

Allie said...

Amen to that! Can't wait for the next one!!

cupcake said...

Me neither!!!