Monday, April 23, 2007

"The Secret Life of Bees" by Sue Monk Kidd



At first, I was not a fan of this novel. I'm not sure what I was expecting but my initial impression left me with a negative feeling. I forged on anyway and it is a good thing because by the last page of the book, I was glad I had taken the time to finish. "Secret Life of Bees" is about a young girl whose mother is accidentally murdered when the girl is four years old. The novel is about how Lily, the main character, embarks on an adventure to learn if she or her father pulled the trigger to the gun that killed her mother. Lily's attempt to discover the truth is also her journey to learn about her mother and in doing so, she learns a tremendously valuable lesson about life.

This quotation from Ms. Kidd sums it up best:

“When women bond together in a community in such a way that “sisterhood” is created, it gives them an accepting and intimate forum to tell their stories and have them heard and validated by others. The community not only helps to heal their circumstances, but encourages them to grow into their larger destiny…. (regarding Lily) She found a sanctuary of women where she could tell her story, and have it heard and validated- an act that allowed her not only to bear her sorrow but transform it. Communities of women are created simply because we want a place to tell our deepest stories. In every case, we find that there is a way of being together that sustains us and now and then, if we are lucky, returns us to ourselves.”

Read the book, you'll learn how to define yourself outside your family.

Hooray for the Porch Club!!

1 comment:

Allie said...

Yay for the Porch Club! Gotta love my ladies!