Thursday, April 26, 2007

Pillsbury Bake-Off


For the last couple of months, I've been scheming up recipes for the 43rd annual Bake-Off (I know, I know, not really my thing but despite the partial-hydrogenation, it was fun). I discovered I have quite a knack for concocting very strange and wonderful things with crescent rolls, which I cannot even look at these days. Last Thursday night, I rounded up Lindsay and Erin for yet another tasting of my secret appetizer for the contest. I perfected my portion of the recipe, however, I was having difficulty with the Pillsbury product I had to use. For the first round, I tried grands, the second round was biscuits, and the final round was crescent rolls, which settled the debate. Lindsay and Erin were growling at me with tremendous disdain by the end of the evening. I was worried one of them might get sick before the taste testing was complete. When I received the thumbs up, I dismissed them from my experiment, well that is until the Friday when I decided to torture Erin with my second secret recipe. She took the torture like a champ, which led to my final recipe for the contest. We decided on blueberries (instead of strawberries, what can I say, I'm from New England where we heart the little blue fruits) and called it quits.

Sunday was my last attempt at perfection; my final go before the big entry. I convinced Erin and Allie to take one more beating. They agreed to go one more round so I could achieve the quality for which I was aiming. We all agreed on the final little tweaks, and around 7:30 p.m., I nervously sat at the computer to enter my Vietnamese Twists and my Blueberry Delights. I was surprised at how excited and anxious I was. Did I mention the grand prize is ONE MILLION DOLLARS?!?! I have a good feeling about it. Actually, I think I'm going to win something. When I do, just call me "Sugar Mama" and meet me in Brazil!!

Unfortunately, I have to wait until October to find out so in the meantime, sit tight. I'll keep you posted. It's a good thing the wait is long because I sincerely think I cannot eat another Pillsbury product any time soon. I think I'll stick to the homemade stuff...

Wish me luck!!!

P.S. I forgot to mention how difficult it is to actually measure things and write them down for other people. I rarely measure while cooking. I'm one of those taste as a go, a pinch here, a dash there, so you can imagine how much effort I had to put into making the recipes scientific. You mean to tell me "put in squirts of lime juice until it tastes right" doesn't count??? My efforts will pay off and when they do, we'll have a party with the grand prize (just don't expect me to measure anything) WOOHOO!! Now if you'll excuse me, I have to return to my normal eating.

13 comments:

Shesabigstar said...

Did you notice that through all of your experiments, I was the only constant! The other girls only had to endure one experiment...ah but not me, I pulled up the skirt and ate more Pillsbury product than I ever have in my life! Well worth it...good luck!

cupcake said...

Hahah, yes you are a champ and if I win, I promise you an allowance :)

Allie said...

If those Blueberry Delights don't win you something...then I call shenanigans on Pillsbury!!

cupcake said...

I know! Those things were awesome. I was very proud. I'll have to make them again but take pictures this time.

Ross Douglas said...

Good luck hunny buns.

If you still want to hire me as a bodyguard then I'm more than happy to fulfil the role.

cupcake said...

Great, sounds like a plan!! I'll let you know when I win so we can all make arrangements for everyone's permanent vacation. :)

Shesabigstar said...

Are you two flirting?

Ross Douglas said...

Bigstar,
Flirting?

I've never been the luckiest person. If Cupcake was flirting with me I would be.k

Shesabigstar said...

I think it just went from flirting to hitting on Miss Cupcake!!

cupcake said...

For some reason, I am beginning to think you are flirting as well BigStar...

Ross Douglas said...

If you two ladies are flirting I'm honored. (And also a bit miffed as you're both many miles away. Damn my luck, damn it all to hell.)

cupcake said...

Worry not Ross, I'm sure the three of us will be united soon enough!

Shesabigstar said...

I am not flirting...I am however trying desperately to set you up with Miss Cupcake. She needs a good man like you Ross.