Monday, April 23, 2007

I survived the High Tide

Last Monday, I was getting ready to leave the farmhouse when I received a frantic phone call from BigStar. She asked me where I'd been all morning like she didn't know how much I disliked getting out of bed to go to work. She then proceeded to tell me our first floor was flooding. In case you don't remember, my bedroom is on the first floor. I immediately packed up my bag, checked the house one last time before I left, and headed out the door to my car. On my sprint to the vehicle, I noticed the boat fell onto the shed in the yard. I sat in my car to ponder this for second. I've encountered tons of problems while house sitting for people, but never once have I had to deal with a boat falling onto a shed. I am resourceful, a problem solver, a critical thinker, and can figure out most dilemmas, I'm the "go-to girl", however, I was at a loss for this instance. Where does one even begin? It's not like I can go over there and lift the boat. It's not like a group of people could really heave the thing off the shed. I decided I'd think about it on my way home.

Can I just tell you thank god for the windshield wash that makes the water run right off the glass?!?! Without it, I would not have survived the hurricane on Patriot's Day, because obviously my windshield wipers were broken. I will never use another windshield wash (Hooray for Rain-X). Check it out people!

I got home to a very soggy and disgusting mess. Luckily, my little corner of the world was spared. I called Erin to discuss what we should do. We came up with the plan for me to meet her at GWB's then to head to get the wet vac to see if we could get most of the water out for now, despite the forecast of rain for the next four days. We live on the ocean. Right across from the beach. Maybe more like a marshy section but still, it's the ocean, with tides, very high tides that flood roads when the tide exceeds 12 feet. Every time I tried to go down a road, it was closed or washed away. I've never seen anything like it. The water was getting higher and higher while the tides were coming in closer and closer. The rain just would not stop (See pictures here). I finally was able to find a route to Grammy's so I could pick up BigStar. On our way to her former in-laws, we crossed a road where the water was coming up so high, Erin just said, "So this road will be closing momentarily." Ten minutes later, we were driving down the same road only this time half of it was under water. We arrived at our chateau to find more water slowly creeping across the playroom. We frantically moved everything upstairs until the room was entirely cleaned up and all my books were out of danger. People kept calling Erin with updates from the news about the ocean, the tides coming in, the roads closed, etc. She grabbed enough goods to last her and the muchachos a few days, then we headed out.

After I dropped her off, I was at a loss. I had taken the day off but didn't really know where I wanted to sit out the storm. I realized it probably wasn't a good idea to stay at my house seeing as though the tides were coming in from both sides:


but I didn't really want to go anywhere. Then it occurred to me I should probably have my windshield wipers fixed. After extreme navigational difficulties, I finally arrived at the VIP only to realize I'd left my wallet at the house. I was so annoyed and pissed, that when I returned I stayed. It was the most nerve racking night I think I've ever had. I figured if our crazy neighbors could make it through the storm, I most definitely could. I grabbed my VS flannel sheep pj's I've had since eleventh grade (they rock), my book, my blanket, and headed for the high ground of BigStar's bedroom where I spent the night watching the news about the State of Emergency declared by the Governor, the shootings at Virginia Tech, and compulsively watching the tides across the street and in the backyard. I existed on Cheeto's, Capri suns, and pasta. The worst high tide was suppose to hit at 11 p.m. that night. I stayed up to watch the water slowly creep up to our driveway until it finally subsided to the marsh next to our house. By midnight, I decided I had survived the worst of it, especially considering the local news' confirmation the worst of it was over. Phew, what a crappy day. I woke up after an awful night sleep to find my bedroom still in tact and water everywhere in the first room. It was so disgusting, smelly, and soggy I wanted to move. I considered it for half a day.

I spoke with the farmhouse family and was assured the boat problem was the husband's and not mine. The woman of the family did not seem to concerned about it, and when I asked her what she thought could be done, she just replied she didn't know, as it was her husband's boat (i.e. not her problem). It was comical. It also turned out the landlord finally made it over to vacuum out all the water and proving he's a idiot. When the rug smells horribly of Ammonia, it's probably not best to douse it with Bleach. Just a thought. He also set up a fan. I'm sorry buddy, but I'm pretty sure the smell is enough to be considered hazardous to our health, thereby allowing the Department of Health to come in and declare you a horribly homeowner and slapping you with a ginormous fine. REMOVE THE DAMN RUG IDIOT!! Anyway, I survived my first disaster. I'd prefer it if I never have to experience one again. Oh and thank you Allie for buying Cheeto's cause I'm pretty sure it would have been a very long and sad evening without them.

Moral of the story: Living on the ocean is not all it's cracked up to be. You have to be prepared to lose everything like most of the people south of us did.

patriots day 2007 storm (79)

No comments: