Wednesday, March 21, 2007

While I Do Not Support the War, I Do Support the Brave Souls Defending Our Country

This is from an email I received today. I felt everyone should read it:

"Will you give this to my Daddy?

As a Company, Southwest Airlines is going to support "Red Fridays."

Last week I was in Atlanta, Georgia attending a conference. While I was
in the airport, returning home, I heard several people behind me beginning
to clap and cheer. I immediately turned around and witnessed one of the
greatest acts of patriotism I have ever seen.

Moving through the terminal was a group of soldiers in their camo's, as they
began heading to their gate everyone (well almost everyone) was abruptly
to their feet with their hands waving and cheering. When I saw the
soldiers, probably 30-40 of them, being applauded and cheered for it hit
me. I'm not alone. I'm not the only red blooded American who still loves
this country and supports our troops and their families.

Of course I immediately stopped and began clapping for these young unsung
heroes who are putting their lives on the line everyday for us so we can
go to school, work and home without fear or reprisal. Just when I thought
I could not be more proud of my country or of our service men and women a
young girl, not more than 6 or 7 years old, ran up to one of the male
soldiers. He knelt down and said "hi," the little girl then she asked
him if he would give something to her daddy for her. The young soldier,
he didn't look any older than maybe 22 himself, said he would try and what
did she want to give to her daddy. Then suddenly the little girl grabbed
the neck of this soldier, gave him the biggest hug she could muster and
kissed him on the cheek.

The mother of the little girl, who said her daughter's name was Courtney,
told the young soldier her husband was a Marine and had been in Iraq
for 11 months now. As the mom was explaining how much Courtney, missed her father, the young soldier began to tear up. When this temporarily single mom was done explaining her situation, all of the soldiers huddled together for a brief second. Then one of the other
servicemen pulled out a military looking walkie-talkie. They started
playing with the device and talking back and forth on it. After about
10-15 seconds of this, the young soldier walked back over to
Courtney, bent down and said this to her, "I spoke to your daddy and he
told me to give this to you." He then hugged this little girl that he had
just met and gave her a kiss on the cheek. He finished by saying "your
daddy told me to tell you that he loves you more than anything and he is
coming home very soon."

The mom was crying almost uncontrollably while the young
soldier stood to his feet and saluted Courtney and her mom. I was
standing no more than 6 feet away from this entire event as it unfolded. When the
soldiers began heading towards their gate, people resumed their
applause. As I stood there applauding and looked around, their were very
few dry eyes, including my own. That young soldier, in one last act of
selflessness, turned around and blew a kiss to Courtney with a tear rolling
down his cheek.

Everyday we need to remember all of our soldiers and their families and
thank God for them and their sacrifices. At the end of the day, it's
good to be an American.

RED FRIDAYS ----- Very soon, you will see a great many people wearing Red
every Friday. Many Americans, like you, me and all our friends, simply want to recognize that the vast majority of America supports our troops.

Our idea of showing solidarity and support for our troops with dignity
and respect starts this Friday and continues each and every Friday until
the troops all come home. Let's make the United States
on every Friday a sea of red much like a homecoming football game in the
bleachers.

The first thing a soldier says when asked "What can we do to make things
better for you?" is...We need your support and your prayers.

Let's get the word out and lead with class and dignity, by example; and
wear something red every Friday."

13 comments:

Shesabigstar said...

Apparently my weekly dose of tears from Extreme Home Makeover wasn't enough this week...thanks for round 2.

Ross Douglas said...

I'm going to keep my mouth shut on this one...

cupcake said...

Haha, I am quite certain that is nearly impossible for you to do! But good work in this instance. I'm impressed.

Ross Douglas said...

Indeed it is almost imposible for me to keep my mouth shut.
I shall refrain completely from pointing out that some of the troops are nothing more than trigger happy jarheads who are fighting for nothing other than the fun of killing people. I will also refrain from pointing out that Southwest Airlines is hardly likely to release a statement saying "Fuck the troops and fuck red fridays."
I'll also refrain from pointing out the feelgood huggy heartstring pulling bullshit tone of this message.

Isn't that nice of me?

cupcake said...

Good work, Ross! I'm proud.

Shesabigstar said...

I am eternally grateful to live in peace everyday and thankful to those who so selflessly give up their own lives to ensure my freedom. I am not a fan of this war...it is heart breaking...but with every fiber of my being, I am proud and thankful of all the men and women all over the world who are protecting us. There is no greater gift.

Ross Douglas said...

Cupcake,
It swells my heart to know you are proud that I showed restraint. (I'm easily pleased.)

Bigstar,
I too am grateful that I live in peace. I'm also grateful that there are people who are willing to fight for my right to party...
However I do find it utterly unbelievable that there are some who think that this War on Terrorism is justifiable in any way.
Firstly, what is a terrorist? One mans terrorist is another mans freedom fighter... For an example of this please refer to George Washington.
Secondly what right does the United States have to force it's idea of freedom on a country that doesn't want it? (Not that the iraqi people do not want freedom, they may well do, what they obviously do not want, and this is becoming more clear as the war enters its fourth year, is the US the Brits and the rest of the coalition of the willing sticking its nose into something that does not concern them.) The oppressed are the ones who should overthrow the oppressors and if you leave them to it eventually they will fight for what they believe in.
Thirdly, and possibly most importantly, this War was started for all the wrong reasons. When the Twin Towers were attacked by Al-Queda there was a huge outcry that Osama Bin Laden and his cohorts be brought to justice, and rightly so, but this outcry was then spun and manipulated by the US government to justify an invasion of Iraq. "They have WMD's" (They didn't.) "They are funding Al-Queda" (They weren't.) Etc etc etc.
The reason for war in Iraq was oil. Plain and simple.

"It's our oil that somehow found its way under their sand and we're going to get it even if it costs thousands of lives." Should have been the warcry of the election stealing-coke snorting-drunk driving-draft dodging (p)Resident of the United States. At least then he'd be being honest.

Here endeth the lesson...

Ross Douglas said...

P.S
Please do not see my previous comment as an attack on either of you. It's not. I love you both like you were my sisters.

cupcake said...

Ah my dear Ross,

But we both agree with you. Neither BigStar nor I think the U.S. has any right to infringe it's crusades on ANYONE. The Land of The Free and The Home of the Brave is being run by a less than intelligent cowboy who had an agenda. Neither of us voted for him and neither of us believe he represents for what the American people truly stand. There is no question this war was a mistake and I'm certain most of us would agree it was wrong. I concur with everything you wrote, however, the U.S. cannot leave Iraq without cleaning up the mess. And in that effort, I support the troops who defend this fantastic country (when not being led by a pompous imbecile.)

I believe we are all on the same team here.

Shesabigstar said...

I agree. I am not in favor of this war, and I am certainly not in favor of our current president. I am however supportive and proud of the troops that we have over there. And Miss Cupcake...yes, he's from Texas, but please don't put President Bush in the category of a cowboy. For real? You know how I feel about cowboys...hello, Kenny? Please don't refer to Mr. Bush as a cowboy...EVER AGAIN!

Ross Douglas said...

I have only one thing to say...

Doug Stanhope for President!

cupcake said...

Ross,

When are you going to come visit us? I think you'd like it here. Lots of whiskey and burgers. Or lobster and ale to be more precise.

I do have to admit I want to buy one of those bumper stickers that reads:

1.20.09

YAY! I hope I'm here to see it.

Ross Douglas said...

Ahh Cupcake,
If only I could pay you a visit. Sadly though after getting the sack from my job for blogging I'm severley short of cash. Should I ever again gain gainful employment I shall make every effort humanly possible to make my way over there to meet you.