Friday, March 30, 2007

A Weekend of Inspiration

Recently, I read the book, "Nice Girls Don't Get Rich," which was written by a psychologist with some financial sense. I already understood the financial information she put forward, however, the psychological aspects of money and women were fairly new to me and somewhat interesting. I would not categorize myself with the majority of Americans, male or female, when it comes finances. This is a result of my education, upbringing, and Mr. Kiyosaki's influence (introduced by my mom.) I do not mess around when it comes to my Hugs and Kisses jar. However, the author made a very important point in the book that pertains to all facets of life outside of money. She could not express enough how we must envision the life we want and not the one we have. In order to achieve success, however defined, we have to see ourselves doing it. Sometimes we forget how important visualizing the goals we have and the life we want to live is to actually achieving them. So in an effort to motivate, inspire, and visualize our life list, BigStar and I spent the past weekend creating a wall of visions for our lives. I bought a 37 foot roll of paper and mounted a nice stripe in our kitchen. We attacked the travel magazines and quotations dictionary with a vengeance to produce a work in progress:



smack in the middle of our kitchen. While Allie colored pirates, we glued, taped, and drew images on our wall. I've always had a wall of something whether it be words, postcards, or artwork, however, I've never really had a 20 foot stripe before. I have to admit, I really do love it.



I'm sure most of you might think this is ridiculous, in which case I invite you to make a poster then. Hang it where you'll see it everyday. Make sure it has only things you like on it. Pictures, words, anything. I can't tell you how amazing it is to walk into a room only to find how you imagine your life right in front of you. The glowing, shiny, and colorful sight makes me smile and giggle every time I stroll into the kitchen. It's there, it's real, and it will happen. Each and every picture, list, quotation, drawing, you name it, will happen. We are now living the lives we want. Well, I guess you kind of have to with a reminder like this:



And yes, our wall does come with rocking chairs and tractors. I'd be happy to lend you my crayolas and to make you pancakes if you want to come by and start your own artwork. It's a Saturday night well spent.

"Live the Life You've Imagined." henry david thoreau

It's not "I can't" but "How can I?"

I also made a few signs as a friendly reminder to the emotional eater in the house:


right on the door of the pantry and


next to the refrigerator door handle. There's never a dull moment on the marsh.

3 comments:

Shesabigstar said...

I'm a little bitter that in the picture, you cut off the part of the wall where Kenny begins. That's not fair, but I guess this is your blog and all. Rest assured to the viewing public...there IS Kenny on our vision wall!!

cupcake said...

It's all there. I tried to get the entire wall without judgment.

Ross Douglas said...

I always thought I was the only person who has a wall of inspiration.

It would seem we have more in common than just mothers who are nuttier than squirrel turds.