Monday, March 05, 2007

I did it, Don't Ask Me How Though...

Saturday morning, I woke up sweating and feeling like I was going to pass out, not to mention the harsh coughing and overall feeling that death was overcoming me. The plague had a relentless six day claim on me and appeared to persist with no relief in sight. I rolled out of bed, ate breakfast, and gathered my karate bag for the daunting task ahead of me. I arrived at the dojo to meet questions regarding my five day absence from workouts. I filled them in on the plague that had fallen upon me and expressed my concerns over taking the test. Everyone assured me I'd be fine, which was easy for them to say as they did not feel as if they were going to die. The senseis all acknowledged my current physical state and just told me to do my best. And hence, my blue belt test began promptly at 11:15 a.m. We started off with punches and kicks, and more punches and more kicks. Right about this time, I believe 45 minutes into the test, my face was the color of a fire engine, and I was almost certain I was going to drop dead right then. One of the senseis took pity on me and made me go get water. Then we moved on to combinations, kempos, forms, more karate kicks, ring of the dragon with two people attacking you at once, then more fighting and finally sparring (where I almost cried twice), weapons, and more forms. It was the longest, hardest, most grueling two hours of my life. I have no idea how, but I did it. I'm certain the non stop karate was part of the reason, as I did not have time to consider anything but the material over which I was being tested. I probably should not have taken the test because I still feel like crap and my head hurts me, but I now have my blue belt. I surely earned it. Moral of the story: When you think you absolutely cannot, chances are, you can and you will.

Now if I could just get someone to massage my cranium...

9 comments:

shesabigstar said...

Sorry the muchachos were a let down on that request!!

cupcake said...

See, this is where mr. houdini comes into play. he does have redeeming qualities when he wants to.

shesabigstar said...

You're not going to convince me of that...a $75 massage would take care of that without the headache of Mr. Houdini!!

cupcake said...

You are probably right.

lindsay said...

hey, congratulations on the belt!! i had to come on here to make sure you were okay...haven't heard from you in a while. you should come over this week and meet my cat --we can make a fire. oh, and we should hit the hottub.
L

Chris said...

Congrats on the belt! My sister just started Karate this week, as a matter of fact. Since you felt like crap, I won't say a word about Mr. Houdini.

Hope you feel better soon! I really really need to come up with internet access during the day...

Ross Douglas said...

Congratulations on getting your belt.

Drop me a line of you still need the massage. (Judging by the men your friends choose on the internet I've got as good a chance as anyone.)

cupcake said...

Thanks guys! I'm very excited about the blue belt. I definitely feel like I earned this one. I'm going to enjoy it for as long as I can.

Judging by the males I've picked previously (or should I write: "keep giving chances"), clearly I do not discriminate in any way :)

Ross, it's such a shame you're so far away...

Ross Douglas said...

Given that the universe is 28 billion light years wide I'm practically your next door neighbour. Mind if I pop over to borrow some sugar?