Thursday, February 01, 2007

Good Riddance to January and a Hearty welcome to February

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I cannot adequately express the fervor with which I kick January out nor can I appropriately convey my delight at the arrival of the pretty pink month of February. Sometimes, I think it's a miracle I make it through the first month of the year . This January was unlike previous Januaries because most of the negative events occurring affected other people. However, the plethora and depth of the situations lead me to believe this one might be for the books:

1) To start the month off, I woke up exceptionally grumpy (and completely dressed in the previous night's digs with the exception of my bra. Go figure.)

2) A friend of the family had a cancerous brain tumor of which only part of it could be removed. In the same week, the birth of his first grand child occurred as well as the death of two family members (I do believe he wins the award for the worst January EVER.)

3) A hugely awful personal matter between me and my sister ensued.

4) Two people felt insincerely remorseful about how they treated me. I'll refrain from commenting.

5) The most awkward evening I've ever had was not bad enough alone; it ended up infiltrating my work world for a completely different reason. I might need to file a complaint now. Needless to say, it sucked.

6) Rafael Correa was sworn in as the new President of Ecuador. This scares me.

7) Jackie almost died in a street fight.

8) I got into a fight with two friends from college, one of whom is my best friend. It was our first fight ever and I'm a little disenchanted by it.

9) I had to cancel three trips due to circumstances beyond my control. I'd been waiting 8 years for one of them.

10) A friend lost her job. (only to find a better one, luckily)

11) Jehovah's Witnesses broke into my house.

12) I was very sick for two weeks.

13) The boy I like disappeared, insincerely returned for a millisecond, then vanished again. I give up. (Apparently, he was only taking a survey when he asked if it was too late . Well I guess it is possible he might have been joking too. Who knows.)

14) I had to call 911 because I miraculously missed being involved in an accident last night, however, felt compelled to report it, as I did witness it.

15) Lastly, I discovered (well, confirmed the feeling I had anyway) my father was bestowing gifts upon my sister.

Oh and there is the issue of John Mayer dating Jessica Simpson, but that is a post in itself.

I have never been so happy to see February with all the wonderful things it has to bestow upon us.
I believe this is the first time I'm excited for the little holidays. It all started about two weeks ago when I received the February issues of "Food and Wine" and "Everyday With Rachael Ray". I eagerly devoured the glossy pages one by one when all at once I could hear the pretty pink month of February galloping slowly towards me. I could hardly contain my excitement. For the first time in as long as I could remember, I cannot wait to make cookies and send Valentine's nor can I wait to throw the Chinese New Year party with all the little good fortune tokens, Asian food, and homemade Chinese cookies. I'm so excited to celebrate all the February birthdays (Tim, Andrew, Danny, Patrick, and Kate) as well as the parties the glowing month of March beckons with Laurie, Johanna, and my mom's birthdays, and let's not forget St. Patrick's Day and Krista's baby shower. My imagination is running wild with ideas and recipes for treats for all of these wonderful occasions. I feel like a child preparing for Christmas. Oh my gosh, this is going to be so much fun!

I will say, I'm very grateful for all the wonderful things that did happen in January. I will not discount how appreciative I am for those moments (especially the part about not getting into an accident and being able to help a family in need.)

No comments: