Wednesday, February 14, 2007

February 14 ...a few poems for you :)


HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!!

AMONG THE MULTITUDE

by: Walt Whitman (1819-1892)

      Among the men and women the multitude,
      I perceive one picking me out by secret and divine signs,
      Acknowledging none else, not parent, wife, husband, brother, child, any nearer than I am,
      Some are baffled, but that one is not--that one knows me.
      Ah lover and perfect equal,
      I meant that you should discover me so by faint indirections,
      And I when I meet you mean to discover you by the like in you.

by Henry David Thoreau:

Two sturdy oaks I mean, which side by side,
Withstand the winter's storm,
And spite of wind and tide,
Grow up the meadow's pride,
For both are strong

Above they barely touch, but undermined
Down to their deepest source,
Admiring you shall find
Their roots are intertwined
Insep'rably.

2 comments:

hm said...

i think that this holiday calls for you to post that katherine hepburn quote (i think it was her...) about men and women living next door to one anohter!!

cupcake said...

Oh yes:

"Sometimes I wonder if men and women really suit each other. Perhaps they should live next door and just visit now and then." KH

I think she might be right...