Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Work in Progress...

Last night, as I snuggled under eight layers of blankets (I'm completely serious. Old Farmhouses are FREEZING!), I could not help but think of a few things on which I'd like to work for the sparkling new year. I guess one good thing about January is the brand new fresh start full of limitless possibilities the month brings. For simplicity's sake, I've decided to focus on five things:

1) To take much better care of myself. I often neglect doing this, as I fear most do. I need to make myself a priority, especially my health. I don't even like the candy in the kitchen tin, and drinking three glasses of gin & juice in one sitting makes me feel like crap the next day, therefore, no point in torturing myself. I'm going to find a substitute for this behavior that is more beneficial to me. At the moment, I have no ideas, but I'm sure I'll come up with something.

2) To find a consequential career I actually enjoy. This is easier than I thought. Thanks to Bethy's dad, I think I know what I want to be when I grow up now. I just have to figure out how to get there...I'm sure I can figure this one out too.

3) To develop a meaningful relationship where I do not have to be the outer spoon. I don't like it. I've never liked it. I'm a girl. I'm very small. It's awkward and cold and there are many implications from being the big spoon I do not want to assume any more. So unless there are extenuating circumstances, I refuse to be the outer spoon from now on.

4) To buy my first investment property so Matty and I can start our business. I've been looking since April. I will purchase something that meets my standards THIS YEAR. I'm certain this can be accomplished as well.

5) To learn to cook excellent Chinese food. While I've contemplated taking a part-time job at a Chinese restaurant just to learn the fundamentals, I've decided a good cookbook might be a better option. It can't be that hard?? I figure the best way to do this is to make one meal a week. It might be helpful to get a cookbook first...I'll have to research my options before I dive right in.

Honorable Mention goes to becoming fluent in Spanish. I have a feeling this one will take care of itself. Maybe if I'm ambitious, I can get a jump on intermediate Chinese and Arabic. We shall see.

"We must be willing to get rid of the life we’ve planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us." ~ Joseph Campbell

I think this might call for a notebook...

No comments: