Monday, January 15, 2007

Why I can't watch Television...


I discovered two things about myself this weekend: 1) I can be a huge brat. I never knew this about myself despite my mother and my ex-boyfriend, Peter, hinting so much to me. Although, I would never give either of them the satisfaction of admitting it to her or him. 2) Why I cannot watch television.

I do not have a television. I do not watch television (with the exception of Law & Order). I've never really liked it and until yesterday, I could not tell you why. It was one of those crazy weekends that ended with spending Sunday in a recliner ALL DAY LONG. Amanda, Allison and I did not leave our seats until the pizza came late in the afternoon. During that time, we watched three seasons of "Sex in the City." The episode where Carrie takes Natasha to the emergency room is when my realization occurred. Or maybe it was my cursing and yelling at the TV, but either way, I cannot watch modern media because I take it personally. What the hell was Carrie thinking? Seriously, I get angry. I know this is completely ridiculous and somewhat comical (ask Allison and Amanda. What good sports you guys are.) However, it's true. I cannot watch. The characters and stories enrage me, infiltrate my psyche, and completely invade my sense of peace and ideal about how the world should be. I get stressed out by the illogical behavior of the people on the screen, which I'm smart enough to know is staged to keep you watching, but I cannot help but fall prey to these very drug like tactics. It's compellingly evil. I've decided I'm going to stick to books and magazines. There is a reason I prefer to read. Books and magazines are so much easier to digest. (Although you wouldn't think so judging by the stacks of books and magazines in my bedroom.) I was able to read 10 magazines this weekend despite all my time in front of the tube. None of which made me curse, yell, or throw things. It became clearly evident by 7 p.m. last night that I should stick to print.

(P.S. These revelations were in no way related to each other. The first one had something to do with me shaving my legs at 1:30 in the morning.)

4 comments:

Ross Douglas said...

Beat this...
I threw my TV out of my livingroom window (third storey up) at 2am just because someone decided that Iraq should be invaded in order to find non existant WMD's.

cupcake said...

I'm assuming this had nothing to do with anger management issues and/or alcohol consumption? I'm more of an avoider myself. However, I might be able to understand your frustrations considering the context.

Ross Douglas said...

There was no alcohol/drug use involved & I've always been able to manage my anger quite well. I was just really pissed at the fact that innocent people were going to die in the quest to secure oil reserves for pResident Bush's Haliburton cohorts.

cupcake said...

Ah, well then, makes perfect sense.