Thursday, January 04, 2007

From Rockstar to Old Lady in About Four Days...

Today is day four at the farmhouse. My life has swung a complete 180. I've gone from watching a group of 20-something males sing "You've Had a Bad Day" at the top of their lungs at two in the morning on a week night, to watching concerts downtown at very shady bars, to eating dinner out with large groups of friends at awesome restaurants, to drinking a bottle of Clicquot champagne by myself only to be put to bed in the middle of a temper tantrum, finally, to living alone with cats somewhere in the middle of nowhere New England where it's completely silent, dinner is nothing like it use to be, and bedtime is at 9 p.m. I've only seen the cats twice, which really is because I've bribed them with treats, otherwise, they are in hiding. I might freeze to death because I fear these people have the money to vacation because they don't use heat. I grew up in a house where the thermostat always read 72 degrees. If you touched it, my dad freaked out because "It's cold!" In addition to standard heat, there was a wood stove pumping good old fashion flames late into the evening. I do have the option to light a fire at this farmhouse, however, I fear it would be my luck I'd burn the place down because I forgot to do something. I've taken to wearing my favorite sweatshirt (with the hood up) over my flannel Nick & Nora sheep pjs I've had since my junior year of high school. I've discovered I enjoy the solitude very much, but I like the cool washing machine even more. It fascinates me, but then again, I'm easily entertained. I can let the sink fill up with dirty dishes without worrying if there will be enough glasses for others. I can hide the awful smelling plant in the bathroom. Speaking of bathrooms, I've traded toys in the shower for kitty litter on the washroom floor. I can't decide which I prefer. (Who puts the kitty litter in the bathroom?) On the flip side, I have a difficult time sleeping because, I'm embarrassed to admit, I'm afraid there are ghosts...I'm somewhat of a scaredy cat. Every time I hear a noise in the night, I open my eyes and ears wide to see if it's an animal, an intruder, or an apparition. Usually, I cozily pass out from exhaustion under eight layers of comforters and blankets. I'm also convinced someone has been in the garage but I can't be sure until I get home tonight and check to see if the shovel strategically placed in front of the door was moved. I'll keep you posted...

So far so good, I think.

2 comments:

cupcake said...

Good news, no one was in the garage. Bad news, I've killed the awful smelling plant.

cupcake said...

Extra Good News, I revived the plant. This makes me incredibly happy.