Friday, January 05, 2007

Drink of the Week



The drink of the week comes to you by my super friend, Chris. He's decided to test out "The Vesper". Here are his thoughts on it:

"So I have sampled 'the Vesper'. It is not for the faint of heart. If you like gin, I think you might enjoy this drink, but be careful, there's a lot of alcohol in it.

A few things about the recipe-

3 Measures of Gin
1 Measure of Vodka
1/2 Measure of Kina Lillet (Lillet Blanc)
large thin slice of lemon peel for garnish

I would use a high-quality Gin--Bond names Gordon's but I do believe Tanqueray would vastly improve the drink's quality. I didn't find the quality of the vodka was of very large importance. It just seems to take on the flavor of the gin.

I found adding a little bit more lemon or lemon juice can kind of soften this drink up. I would also recommend cutting back on the gin and adding more Lillet.

Interestingly enough, Lillet is actually quite good by itself as an aperitif when served very chilled or over ice.

It's very much like a Martini, (a Gin Martini), but with a unique and interesting twist. Out of the 4 people who sampled this cocktail, 2 did not like it at all, and myself and the other found it interesting but recognized the strength and almost bitterness of the drink.

I would encourage you to try it. And if you don't like it, then you can at least enjoy the Lillet by itself."

I look forward to experimenting with this lovely cocktail. Thank you for your insight!

Za vashe zdorovye!

No comments: