Wednesday, December 06, 2006

What are you waiting for?

"Act as if it were impossible to fail." ~ Dorothea Brande

On Saturday, I was named the “student of the month” in the adult classes in karate. Mostly for my performance at the tournament, I am sure. I have wanted to participate in martial arts for years, however, I did not get around to taking action about my desire to learn until this summer. One afternoon in August, I was sitting at my desk wondering for what was I waiting? Was it for the “right time,” more money, a better situation, until I was done this or that - why was I waiting? I decided just to dive right in against all my inclinations and fears. What exactly did I have to lose? I called the Martial Arts studio to get additional information, which resulted in starting class that very evening. I cannot tell you how much this experience has positively impacted me. I never imagined winning “student of the month” or first place in a sparring tournament when I started karate. I want to use this as an example to encourage all of you to give it a try; whatever it is in which you would like to become involved, whether it be a class, a hobby, a new cuisine, sky diving, anything you want to do “someday,” JUST DO IT! Of course you have no idea if you’ll like it or be good at it, but there are too many "what ifs". Of course you are afraid you might fail, so what? What if you succeed? Give it a try. Who knows, you might surprise yourself.

No comments: