Monday, December 25, 2006

Catching Up...

On Saturday, I traveled to Cambridge to see my dearest friend, Meg. Of course there was an issue upon arrival. Once we left her house, we were locked out for the day, but, she was going home (midwest home) later that evening so we did not think this would be an issue (oh just you wait). We started our adventure together at a fantastic Mexican Restaurant of which I do not recall the name, however, their chili, shrimp and margaritas were fabulous. We lingered over lunch to catch up because I had not seen her in way too long (I'm ok with all of my friends being done with school already). Meg only had one last Christmas present to buy, which was easy enough despite it being the Saturday before the holiday. We passed a jewelry store on our way around the block. Normally, this would not peak our interests but since Meg was told by her love to research what kind of ring she might like we thought now was just as good a time as any to check out the merchandise. I have no clue when it comes to this thing with the exception of the "conflict free" diamonds about which I had read recently at National Geographic. Meg sat down in front of a display case facing a very large and oddly made-up woman wearing an unrecognizable shade of eye make-up who spoke in a very matter-of-fact yet bored tone. As I listened to Meg ask the woman very thoughtful questions about the diamond rings, I could not help but think how very grown up all of this was. The thought of a male wanting to call me his "wife" seems hysterically ridiculous, and since I notoriously giggle at inappropriate times, you can imagine how easy it is not to take me seriously. I can't even get people to call me back, which just makes this foreign idea even more unfathomable. Rightfully so, this is not the case for Meg who curiously eyed all the rings until she rested her eyes upon a very lovely and sparkly ring with exceptional detail set in an "Asher" setting. Meg delicately slid the ring on her finger while asking how much might this dazzling exhibit cost. Very nonchalantly, the woman answered, "$39,000," at which point Meg jerked it off her hand and gave it back to the woman. As the moral support and second opinion, I just balked at the lady. You've got to be kidding me. The economist in me wanted to comment on what a useless, unjustifiable waste of money, but I bit my tongue and followed Meg to the next row of offerings. I mean, I know such extravagance exists I've seen the Crown Jewels at the Tower of London, but to keep these gems in the same location as the more commonplace ones makes them seem less extraordinary. After a few more minutes of indulgence, Meg finished her "research" so we could go fetch the car and head to Trader Joe's.

Despite the jam packed parking lot and the frenzied shoppers overflowing from the store, uncharacteristically, I did not hesitate to join the mob. After all, it is a rare occasion I am able to spend 45 glorious minutes gathering good from this marvelous grocery store. While we were checking out, Meg received a telephone call from the airlines regarding her early evening flight. Subsequently, there was a delay that would make her miss her final connection, which was the last flight out that evening. In walks the issue of us being locked out... Since we had no physical location to go, we sat in the parked car while Meg haggled with the United Airlines lady about what could be done about her flight. Our rendez-vous in the car lasted twenty minutes before a rather clueless gentleman hit us. The car lurched forward and luckily, there was nothing in front of us. We both turned around to see exactly how it was possible this man HIT A PARKED CAR WITH PASSENGERS IN IT. Fortunately, his car suffered most of the damage, thank you Newton and very solid bumper. We decided enough fun was had in the Trader Joe's parking lot so we started for Logan International. It's a damn good thing because by the time we got there, we stood in line for over an hour WITHOUT MOVING just to receive "additional services." Naturally, we made friends with the people in line next to us. Very lovely couple with a newborn who didn't cry once. Eventually, Meg and I made it to the counter where Mrs. Stranger (no joke, it was her last name), rather dramatically tried to help Meg. Upon reviewing Meg's driver's license, she first inquired, "Well, at least you have somewhere to stay tonight," at which we laughed. She did not find this as funny as we did, but she did find a way to bring Meg within two hours of her destination. Finally, two hours later, we sorted out the ordeal and headed to the airport bar. After a drink and a snack, I reluctantly saw Meg off. Just after I exited the airport, I saw the bright crescent moon elegantly hanging slightly above the Boston skyline and chuckled to myself thinking, of course, it could not be just an uneventful Saturday with a friend...

No comments: