Tuesday, November 28, 2006

A Note About My Thanksgiving

I hope everyone had a fantastic holiday. I know mine was one of the best and strangest. I do feel the need to share one event in particular only because I might still be traumatized by it. Here goes:

We headed north to my aunt's house for turkey day. It was marvelous to see the family and to visit for awhile, as I had not seen some of my relatives in a few months. It was also a pleasure to have my dad travel with me and my sister because he has been in hiding, conveniently during the festivities, for the past few years.

Dinner was sensational. Hats off to my aunt for making such awesome food. We had turkey, ham, green bean casserole (she loves me), broccoli and cheese, three different kinds of potatoes, squash, peas, carrots with bacon - just loads of culinary goodness all tweaked with little twists that are trademarks of Kelley. She doesn't like to make just mashed potatoes; they have to have ranch or something else mixed in them. Same goes for all the entrées. There were hardly any leftovers because we ate pretty much all that was laid out on the table. After dinner, we sat around chatting until my aunt announced she would go get the pumpkin cheesecake. She returned to the dinner table with a kitty litter box which she place in the middle of us with a poop scoop. The entire family looked at her horrified. I asked her why she put it on the table and she just busted out laughing. This was her idea of a practical joke that was awesome. Turns out, it was a kitty litter cake. It was disgusting. Everyone just starting laughing hysterically while trying not to vomit. She did convince a few brave souls to try it, but we made her cut it with a spatula in the other room. It was actually good but I couldn't eat more than two bites, as the association was too strong in my mind (It's just marble cake with cookies, pudding, and tootsie rolls). And here I was thinking, finally, I could bring friends home to meet my family...

However, she did go get the Cheesecake Factory Pumpkin Cheesecake she promised us, so dessert wasn't a complete disaster. Luckily, we all have a good sense of humor and no one got sick. There is always quality entertainment at my family's holidays.

I hope everyone had an excellent Thanksgiving.

2 comments:

Erin said...

That is pretty gross about the kitty litter cake. I'm sure it was good, but a little odd none the less!

Dinner sounded fabulous, but I'm convinced it couldn't have been good as our soiree last evening. I am waiting for a blog about it--it deserves a post!!

cupcake said...

Oh don't you worry. I write a little bit about "The Adventures" every day now. I'll publish them soon. :)