Wednesday, November 08, 2006

A Day I Will Never Forget...

I have this one day in my mind, it's a day I will never forget for no reason other than my state of mind. Sometimes, I desperately try to get back to it, to remember exactly how I felt, to be there, and to capture it to bring to the future. I try to grasp the contentment for as long as I can before it slips away because in the reality outside my mind, I cannot have that day or that feeling, it's in the past. It was one of the last days of June in 2002. I remember exactly what I was wearing, what I did that day, where I was, how I felt and almost every human sense I experienced. Nothing remarkable happened. I had moved into "121" a month before, and I lived alone at the time, which meant the house was absent of furniture, people, and history. Dan's small boom box was still there from when he and Eddy were painting. I had the radio on to listen to the one station I liked. All the lights were on downstairs and the deck and porch doors were open to let the soft breeze invade the stuffy rooms. The most vivid image I replay over and over in my mind is of me doing the dishes. I can still feel the suds on my small hands as I watched the bubbles in the sink rise to the cupboard tops. I can see myself swaying slightly to the music. The ceiling fan is on above my head so I can feel the whirling as the warm water runs over my hands. All of the sounds from the street outside are muffled. Somehow, I secretly knew I would forever cherish that one moment; it would linger in my mind for years to come because it was peaceful, quiet, and private. While standing there engrossed in a simple household act, I was smiling with no other thoughts on my mind. I had found a moment of utter contentment...

No comments: