Friday, September 15, 2006

How NOT to hit on a girl...

For the first time since Matty's birthday (WELCOME HOME MATT!), I ventured to the bar. Not just any bar, but the one with the local bluegrass band on Thursdays. It's the place to be. MMG and I went to listen to the music, throw some darts and catch up, as it had been too long since we've seen each other. (Oh and there's a hot Greek boy who is nice to look at, but unfortunately, that is all.) This time, my sister joined us.

The bar is located in the basement of a restaurant/hotel resembling a castle set on the main drag. It's rustic and the old lady who runs the place is stern yet funny. We paid our cover then meandered to the bar to get our drinks and the darts. Once established in the corner where the dart board was, we settled teams and began a game. Of course in the middle of the game, my sister was off to bigger and better pastures. Therefore, we relinquished the darts to claim a spot near the bar. As soon as we settled in, a young man approached us. He inquired about the "beautiful" girl who just left us. I laughed and told him she was my sister. The three of us settled into casual conversation, which was interesting until he said, "It must have been difficult growing up with a sister that beautiful." Trying to be polite without telling him my sister is not your type and she is what we'd call an "ugly duckling" turned swan who happens to be a model now, so please get in line buddy, I just chuckled and changed the subject. We chatted for a bit longer, mainly about martial arts in which he seemed eagerly interested in a creepy sort of way, until MMG and I were ready for different scenery. Not to mention Mary Martha was tired of fighting the civil war with an older man who brought it up at the bar upon hearing her accent (She's from Alabama).

AN ASIDE: A southern accent should NOT bring up thoughts about the Civil War, as it was over about 140 years ago.

Upon exiting the building, the boy in love with my sister asked me for my number because he thought after our conversation, I was "more beautiful than my sister." Right. I hope he did not see me roll my eyes. Wouldn't it have been easier just to ask me for her number? One would think. PLEASE, PLEASE Boys, DO NOT DO THIS. For a plethora of hopefully obvious reasons, this does not work on either girl, especially siblings.

6 comments:

Pozzi said...

"If we all go for the blonde and block each other, not a single one of us is going to get her. So then we go for her friends, but they will all give us the cold shoulder because no on likes to be second choice"

- John Nash, A Beautiful Mind

cupcake said...

It is very appropriate to quote an economist here seeing as though I am one. Not to mention from a great movie. I'm assuming you practice the advice and go for the prettiest girl's best looking friend?

pozzi said...

Difficult to say what I would do in general since I tend to look for a certain je ne sais qua and I may find the "pretty girls friend" the more preferrable. Not to mention that I am currently off the market ;)

cupcake said...

Oh I'm not looking, just curious because of your choice in quotations. I am always intrigued by new people's perspectives.

pozzi said...

I didn't think you were looking in my direction, just thought I'd give a little tease. And yes, new people's perspectives are always highly intriguing.

cupcake said...

I am beginning to suspect you might have been the boy in love with my sister at the bar....