Monday, August 21, 2006

Ray Lamontagne & Guster

I have been waiting two months for this concert. On Saturday night, my waiting finally came to an end. My friend Mary Martha and I went to see the final concert of Guster and Ray's tour, which was in their "hometown" (for Mr. Gardener and Ray, anyway). I would love to be able to say I loved the concert and it was everything I ever imagined or wanted it to be. Not the case. MMG and I eagerly arrived at the CCCC an hour before the show started. We marched right down to the front row and planted ourselves among all the high schoolers. I think we were the oldest people in the first ten rows. We were not bothered by this. The show started with some jumping of the event staff over a fence (I missed this because I was teaching MMG some karate moves). But as soon as we heard the crash we stood up to assume our positions at the gate. Rogue Wave started the show. To be honest, I have never heard any of their work before. They did impress me though. Very nice group of boys. They played well and really reacted to the crowd well.

Then the moment we had been waiting for..... Ray Lamontange. Simultaneously, I feel a huge push behind me. I turned around to find three HUGE blonde girls standing behind us, drunk, therefore, annoying. We tried to be civilized with these girls, however, everyone knows you cannot rationalize with a blonde, let alone a drunk one (sorry Bethy, I do love you!). Of course I was not tolerating any of it and stood my ground. I elbowed the girl every time she pushed her huge fatty breast up against us. It reached the point where I turned around and told the girl if she touched me one more time, I would punch her into next week. She just looked at me. All of this is happening while Ray is playing. I am missing the best and only part of the concert I care about. I was livid. It reminded me of the time I saw the Counting Crows at the Wiltern Theater in LA - a gay couple got into a fight in front of me, which made me miss my favorite CC song. But this time I refused to let these heinous girls ruin the show for me. MMG tried to dance in a big fashion so they would move but to no avail. She then used her southern graces, which also did not work. I think she was afraid I was really going to get into a battle. Finally, the people next to us both told the security guard if he didn't stop them, I was going to start a fight. That ended the fiasco and Ray's time onstage...

Not one problem ensued the entire time Guster played. I ended up standing at the gate with a group of boys who went to the same high school I did. Only here in this state could you stand in the front row at a concert and meet someone who knows someone you do. Guster was great. The rest of the show was good. I was happy to be rid of the three headed beasts so I could enjoy Guster, but I was very sad to have missed most of Ray. I am already watching for his next show near me...

No comments: