Friday, August 25, 2006

Becoming a student of the Arabic Language

Along with Karate and fire twirling (poi), I have added Arabic to my list of activities I would like to master. With French and Spanish somewhat under my belt, I felt comfortable adding another language. I am always up for a good challenge, and I have a burning desire to be multilingual-in a Jane Bond, woman of the world kind of way. Chinese and Arabic are next on the to accomplish list. I decided to save the Chinese for the Rosetta Stone I am ordering for my birthday. Arabic it is then. I went to the library yesterday to get some beginners books. I have all the confidence in myself that I can at least teach myself to read and write. I checked four books out. Each looked helpful and easy to use. I sat down for my first lesson: the alphabet. Upon studying the characters, I wondered if one could really call it an alphabet because it looked more like a squiggle-bet to me. So much for an ABC sing a long song. This might be a little more difficult than I thought. I'm ok with the reading and writing right to left, but the squiggles with no English equivalents... I might need a little help with this one.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, Yes It's not that easy, Just keep learning

السلام عليكم :D

cupcake said...

I actually am going to go to school for it. I found it too difficult to teach myself. Are you a native speaker or did you learn from school or family? oh and what does that mean? I'm intrigued...

Salihah said...

They said "Assalaamu Alaykum" which is an Arabic or Muslim greeting that means "May peace be upon you!"

Are you doing Rosetta Stone for Arabic? I am searching for other people on Blogger that are using Rosetta Stone Arabic...I need a buddy to help me stick to it! lol!

Stop by my blog and say hello sometime if you'd like to compare notes on Arabic! :)